Saturday 16 August 2014

Using popular music to energise reading lessons

Next week I am going to introduce popular music to my reading lessons. It is something I have discussed with my students but have yet not had the confidence to introduce. The students were very receptive to the idea and have been looking forward to it happening, however the biggest issue has been my confidence. And it is this that raises an important issue for me as I reflect on my teaching practice. After eleven years as a teacher, I have come to believe that much of what we teach and much of what we do as teachers could be improved if we had the courage to question our practice. I believe it could be improved if we had leaders who had the courage and were prepared to question what we do. It is for that reason that I have been reluctant to introduce the use of popular song lyrics as valid texts for my students to use in their guided reading lessons. I have been too concerned with what my colleagues would say. I have been too concerned with having to justify my use of song lyrics and defending the already existing perception of being the "lone nut" in my work place. But next week I put those concerns and fears aside and introduce my students into the wonderful world of "Will.I.Am" and other important popular artists. I hope and expect to see increased levels of enthusiasm and engagement in my guided reading lessons and I hope to see an increased level "buy-in" from my students. Wish me luck and if you ever read this post, please let me know what your thoughts are on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment